Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Fall Garden

From Gardening

It has been so hot that some of my fall/winter greens are NOT happy. They are also not happy because they are being munched on by ants and caterpillars. I caught a few in the act and took their picture before throwing them over the fence.

My pumpkins are spindly little plants that probably won't make it, I still don't know when to pick my watermelons, and I waited too long to harvest the basil. I've been drying lemon grass for tea, and my marigolds are going strong!

I might rip out more things in the morning and plant another hopeful crop of winter greens. Is it too late? I guess we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to plant some garlic and beets here on the West Coast. There was an article in the paper today about what to plant when around here. i am also tempted by brussel sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep at it - it takes a few years to really get the soil right, and to get the hang of the whole thing. I really hope that you have a winter garden, to keep you both healthy throughout the long dark.

    ReplyDelete