Saturday, May 15, 2010

Preparing for Tomatoes

From Gardening

We have our first baby tomatoes on the vine - I think this is from the Mr. Stripey plant. I went around and pulled up all the little volunteer tomatoes that had started to grow, and to put stakes next to some and cages around others, as well as pinching off the tiny sprouts between the branches that would make it less stable. I also transplanted one of the yellow pear plants I started from seed, but I'm waiting to transplant the rest until we've harvested the cabbages and broccoli.

What kinds of tomatoes did you plant? We planted one each of Sweet 100, Mr. Stripey, Black Krim, Arkansas Traveler, Hybrid Cherry, Green Zebra, tomatillo, and then have some from seed for Amish paste and yellow pear.

I bought calcium to put on the tomatoes but haven't done anything with it yet. I'm fearful of fungus but kind of want to see how they do on their own first.

What do you do for your tomatoes to keep them healthy?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, to have a garden again!

    As to keeping them healthy: Eat Them! :)

    ReplyDelete