Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 27 Reflection

From Gardening

I missed blogging last weekend because I was on my way to San Diego, but Nathaniel has been watering and doing other things in my absence. Everything you see sitting around is waiting to go into the two other beds that we will put together this weekend, after our 3 pm Saturday planting mix delivery. We found a mulch company locally that makes the same kind of mix we were making, and thought it would be easier this way.

From Gardening

We've had many more sprouts since the radish sprouts showed their faces on Day 15. The peas have sprouted and will be staked tomorrow (a few already are) because they are growing quickly! The carrots finally are peeking up (they were the last), and a few beets are showing. The marigolds, lettuce, and spinach that we planted from seed are starting to show, and the cauliflower and cabbage is starting to look like a real plant. I replanted the romaine seedlings with the extra sprouts that I held back for that very purpose, as well as one kale and one romaine plant from a six pack.

From Gardening

Nathaniel put together the last raised bed on his own (somehow) while I was gone, and we hope to plant most things tomorrow that we have seeds for. I originally didn't have a plan for the spaces between tomato plants, because I wanted them to have plenty of room. But I think if I time it right, I can put some of the extra cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower plants that are already pretty stable into those squares, and they might be done maturing and ready for eating before the tomato plants block the sun.

From Gardening

This is what my sprouts for tomato, pepper, eggplant, and tomatillo plants look like. The Home & Garden Information Center at Clemson University's Extension Office has some great information on gardening in my region, and I learned that long willowy sprouts are often a result of not enough light. I'll need to find a better solution for that next year, but for this year I might try putting them on the kitchen table under the lamp at night (although this isn't fluorescent, will that matter? I have no idea).

1 comment:

  1. The pictures all dissappear as soon as I log onto your page ....but I can almost see it from the way you write. Good job, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete